Terra Me



TERRA ME is the brainchild of myself and a friend who both share a deep passion for gardening and believe that we can sustain the earth one plant at a time.

Challenge
About a year ago, Angie and I were sitting down over a cup of coffee when I shared with her my frustration on keeping my plants alive and she wholeheartedly agreed and added that she finds it difficult to find accurate and easy to understand plant care information on one consistent platform and so, the creation of TERRA ME began.

Solution
We wanted to validate our idea that others might benefit from a solution that inspires users to overcome barriers, such as lack of time and knowledge, by providing easy-to-understand information that will help gardeners accomplish their gardening goals and connect them back to nature. Inorder to arrive at our solution we approached the problem from a design thinking perspective. Ultimatly we landed on a solution that manivested into a PWA (progresive web application).

My role
Angie and I worked on all phases of the project. The roles included:
• Creative ideation
• Research
• Testing
• UI
• Illustration
• Content strategy
• UX
• Copywriting
• Business planning
• Coding
• Prototyping
• Marketing

Process
1. Empathize. To arrive at the perfect solution we started talking to potential users and researching their needs. We went to garden centers, friends and family and did field research. We interviewed gardeners and conducted surveys to learn about their gardening pain points and goals.

2. Define. To define the problem we analyzed and synthesized our observations and defined our core user needs.

3. Ideate. We then started ideating and challenging existing assumptions and creating new ideas.

4. Prototype. We began to prototype iteratively and started to create solutions informed by user pain points and guided by our vision of TERRA ME and user feedback.

5. Testing. Lastly, we tested our solution and tried it with users. We recruited and planned detailed testing scenarios with potential users to refine and optimize TERRA ME.

Research
The research was a continues prosess through the entire project. We conducted user interviews, surveys, and guerrilla testing to identify our user needs and pain points.

The main goals of the research were to pinpoint:

1. Are people looking for a disruptive tech-based plant care solution?
2. Identify our most profitable targeted users?
3. What are their plant care pains and gains?
4. What features do people want in a plant care platform?

Branding
Below you can browse through the entire brand book that TERRA ME is built on. In the book, we cover brand strategy, brand identity, and content strategy.

Prototyping
With our research, brand book and personas in place, we began to prototype solutions beginning with paper prototypes. We created paper wireframes and used Post Its to create mock interactive elements for each screen. To select an item on the paper screen, the user placed a Post It on top of the UI element. The Post It served as a reference for documenting the path the user took through the screens after the testing.

We tested the paper prototype with seven participants. Users were asked to search for a plant and add it to their garden. From the prototype, we were able to validate that the idea was useful, learn common paths that users took to perform the tasks, and learn about features and wording that would be helpful for the users.

Design Principles
We began by designing and implementing design principles. Then moved on to user flows, user journeys, and wireframes. In addition to low-fi and mid-fi prototypes. After each round of design, we would test with users and iterate the designs.

User Flows

Low-Fi Designs and Prototype

Final MVP